This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item from these links I may receive a small commission which helps me write more content for this blog.
I hope everyone had a nice weekend! How is March treating you so far? Are you having nice weather?
Here in So Cal we have gotten a lot of rain. We’ve had a lot of chilly days, more than usual for our area. We’ve had so much rain they are actually saying we are out of the drought now! That’s definitely a good thing, but I’m just not loving the rain. I’m wishing for some warm weather right about now. I’m wanting desperately to lay out by the pool with the warm air and sun and sip my favorite Agua Fresca. (recipe coming soon)
But… on to reality.
The forecast here today calls for a high of 57 and more rain. So I’m cooking up one of my favorite belly warming soups. This is not just my favorite, but the whole family loves it.
This unstuffed pepper soup is a family pleaser for sure. Do you like stuffed peppers? Then you will love this soup. I’m not kidding, I have two of the pickiest eaters in my house and they gobble this up. They even pick up the bowl and drink the last drop of broth. And the funny thing is my kids don’t like peppers, onions, or stuffed peppers!
What I love about this soup is that it’s easy to make, easy on the wallet, easy on the dishes (one pot is all it takes) and oh… you can totally make it somewhat healthy!
Most versions of this soup use ground beef and rice. I choose to use ground turkey and either brown rice or a combo of grains (brown rice, flax, quinoa) or really whatever grain you prefer.
One time I had a little extra cabbage in the fridge so I chopped that up and tossed it in. Basically an unstuffed cabbage roll soup. It was just as yummy.
Here’s what you’ll need
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 green bell peppers (diced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (less or more to taste, we love garlic)
- italian seasoning to taste
- 2 14 oz cans beef broth
- 1 10 oz can of tomato soup
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of cooked rice or grain you prefer.
- salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Grab your favorite soup pot and lets get started. My go to pot is this Martha Stewart Enameled Cast Iron 6 qt. Round Casserole. I use this baby for everything. It cooks evenly and cleans up in a breeze. Even the few times (very few) I’ve burnt things in it, it cleans off easily. No scraping or scouring. And it’s priced much better than the Le Creuset brand. This pot will last you for years and look beautiful on your stove.
Ok, let’s get started.
- Start by sautéing your diced onions and peppers in the olive oil. Once onions are opaque, add your garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in your ground turkey and cook until browned, season your turkey with salt & pepper.
- Once your turkey is browned, add your cooked rice and mix up.
- Add the diced tomatoes, beef broth and tomato soup.
- Add Italian seasoning liberally.
- Let simmer 20-30 minutes or until all flavors are blended. (taste, add more seasoning and simmer longer if needed)
I top off each bowl with shredded parmesan cheese and serve this with a thick piece of buttered French bread. This is definitely one comfort meal you will love and your family will be asking for.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Like this post? Share with your friends and don’t forget to sign up below to get my latest posts straight to your inbox!.