Ok guys, We just can’t seem to get away from the rain here in So Cal. I know we always need it but I’m so over it! I am craving warm weather and evenings spent out by the pool.
With rain in the forecast over the next couple days I’m cooking up a big pot of soup! There’s nothing like a warm bowl of soup with a side of buttered bread when the weather isn’t nice. Also if you make enough, it’s always nice to have leftovers and not have to cook the next day.
This recipe is warm & delicious and makes enough for my family plus lunch leftovers.
I grew up eating smoked sausage, but not like this. My mom served it fried with either a side of mac & cheese and steamed broccoli, or mashed potatoes & green beans. I think that’s a pretty standard country meal. I loved it like that and when I do cook it that way it just feels like comfort food to me.
This soup recipe is also a comfort food. My family enjoys it with a big piece of buttered French bread. With the addition of kale & white beans it makes this soup somewhat healthy (besides all of the sodium of course). White beans are high in minerals, protein & fiber. Kale as most of us know is a super food! This green leafy goodness is super high in vitamins and minerals.
Want to make it a littler healthier? Use a turkey sausage and a low sodium chicken broth.
- Smoked Sausage (diced)
- 4 Cans White Beans
- 40 oz. (approx. 5 cups) chicken broth
- About 2-3 bunches of kale
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian herbs seasoning (not the powdered kind for salad dressing, just dried herbs)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes (or hot sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Parmesan Cheese for topping
- I start by removing stems from kale and finely chopping it. Wash thoroughly, leave in strainer
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in pot and add chopped smoked sausage to pot.
- Cook sausage until brown and then remove from pot and place on paper towel line plate.
- Add minced garlic to hot oil and cook for about a minute or until fragrant. Don’t burn.
- Add about 4 cups of your chicken broth, stir in garlic powder, Italian seasoning, bay leaves and kale. Put lid on pot and simmer until kale is tender.
- Take about 1 1/2 cups of the drained beans and place in blender or food processer, pour your remaining chicken broth in. Blend until smooth.
- Check your Kale, if tender enough for you add your sausage, beans, and pureed beans to pot.
- Add your pinch of red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you don’t like it spicy then omit the pepper flakes.
- Serve with French bread and parmesan cheese on top.
I have the best little helper! She loves to cook!
Diced Smoked Sausage
Browned Smoked Sausage
Adding the fresh kale and bay leaves.
Puree the beans
Add everything back to the pot!
Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves before you serve!
Like this post? Share with your friends and don’t forget to sign up below to get my latest posts straight to your inbox!